Do you know the importance of studying the Word of God? We’re sharing 21 benefits of Bible study, with a challenge to getting into God’s Word daily. We also have a brand new “Better Bible Study Printable Pack” for you, so be sure to join our community here to receive THESE BIBLE STUDY WORKSHEETS!
Think for a second about your Bible habits. What do they say about your beliefs?
Our words can be deceiving but our actions tell what we REALLY believe. For many of us, the reality is that we believe we can go days, months, even years without spending quality time in God’s word and not suffer severe, even deadly consequences. We’ve somehow convinced ourselves the Bible isn’t the spiritual bread that it really is. We’ve lost our sense of desperation, of hunger, of essentialism, of priority.
Now for some good news: we can change! Our hearts AND our habits can change and we’re going to walk through the process together in this post.
CLICK THE IMAGE BELOW TO GRAB YOUR FREE BIBLE STUDY PRINTABLE WORKSHEETS!
Getting into God’s Word Daily
Getting into God’s Word daily is essential for living godly lives. If you have lost your hunger for personal Bible study, these Scriptures should reignite that spark. Let’s see, together, what happens when you read the Bible everyday.
The best place to start is with God’s power promises regarding His Word and since we’re here to raise the bar on your Bible time, this is where we’ll begin, shall we?
Read each Scripture below and list the BENEFIT or promise of each one. Yep, get your pen and notebook out! I promise it will be worth it! :)
21 Benefits of Bible Study
- Psalm 19:7 “The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul. The statues of the Lord are trustworthy, making the wise simple.”God’s Word is trustworthy and true. His Word faithfully represents His righteousness and truly fulfills their purpose in the lives of those who honor them.
- Psalm 19:8 “The precepts of the Lord are right, giving joy to the heart. The commands of the Lord are radiant, giving light to the eyes.”God’s Word gives joy to our hearts. His truth makes our hearts right and in turn we rejoice. He gives light to our eyes and our souls.
- Psalm 19:9 “The fear of the Lord is pure, enduring forever. The ordinances of the Lord are sure and altogether righteous.”The fear of the Lord cleanses our hearts from the love of sin. The will of God never changes and His judgments are always just.
- Psalm 19:10 “They are more precious than gold, than much more gold; they are sweeter than honey; than honey from the comb.”God’s Word should be desired by us even more than something as sweet as honey. His Word should be desired and sought after with greater eagerness than if we were searching for gold. Understanding God’s Word is more delightful than any earthly enjoyment.
- Psalm 19:11 “By them is your servant warned; in keeping them is great reward.”We are all warned by God’s Word, but only few will take the warnings given. Those that do will reap a glorious reward!
- Hebrews 4:12 “For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joint and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.”God’s truth was revealed in Jesus Christ and is also revealed to us through the Bible. God’s Word is active in that it accomplishes God’s purposes. It is living and powerful and judges justly, penetrating deep into our soul, spirit, joints, and marrow. God’s Word rightly judges our thoughts and the secrets of our hearts.
- Psalm 119:18 “Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law.”God’s law contains many wonders and redeeming acts. God opens our eyes when we ask so we can clearly see his marvelous works.
- II Timothy 3:16 “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness…”God was active in the writing of Scripture. His involvement was so powerful that what is written is the infallible and authoritative word of God. It is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness.
- Matthew 24:35 “Heaven and Earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.”Jesus’s words are more certain than the existence of the universe. Nothing can be more firm and strong than God’s Word, which is supported by God himself.
- Psalm 119:105 “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.”God’s Word lights our paths in this dark world. We should use His word personally each day to see the way He would have us go.
- Psalm 119:11 “I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.”Our hearts are kept by the Word when we keep the Word in our hearts. We should carefully and eagerly seek to obtain and understand God’s Word to keep us from wandering. Our goal should be that we might not sin against Him.
- James 1:21 “Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you. “We must get rid of all sin in our hearts and receive humbly the Word of God. When we do this God’s Word is used as an instrument of salvation through Christ.
- Isaiah 55:11 “so is my word that goes out from my mouth; it will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.”When we know and understand God’s eternal Word, it will produce fruitfulness in our lives and we will accomplish His will. We will also experience God’s grace and pleasure from being obedient followers.
- Romans 15:4 “For everything that was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.”Scripture was written for our instruction. Through our patient endurance we are encouraged to hold fast to our hope in Christ. We are encouraged to have hope of eternal Life in an eternal world.
- Luke 11:28 “He replied, “Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it.”Jesus promises blessings to us when we are obedient followers of the word. There is great happiness when we receive God’s Word, understand it, and allow it to bear fruit in our lives.
- Matthew 7:24-25 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into great practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock.” We are not only to be hearers of God’s Word, but doers as well. When we obey Scripture we are building our lives on the foundation of our hope in Christ and our lives with Him in eternity one day.
- Matthew 4:4 “Jesus answered, “It is written: Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.”Just like God gave the Israelites manna in a supernatural way, so he also gives us his Word. God’s word sustains us and gives us authority in defeating Satan’s temptations.
- I Peter 2:2 “Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation…”As hungry newborn babies instinctively crave milk, so should we crave God’s Word. God’s Word, which is like our spiritual food, helps us to grow into Christian maturity.
- Proverbs 2:6 “For the Lord gives wisdom and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.”God is the One who gives us true wisdom and understanding. We must not attribute wisdom to our own effort, but to the grace of God.
- John 8:31-32, 17:17 “To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” (8: 31-32) “Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth.” (17:17) When we read and believe God’s Word and hold fast to it, we prove to be true followers of Christ. When we truly know and experience God’s truth it will free us from the bondage of sin.
- Romans 10:17 “Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ.”God speaks His message through us, His messengers, and through His Word. God also uses His Word to convey faith into the hearts of His people. God’s original will is to send forth His messengers to proclaim His truth, so that all would be saved.
The Importance of Studying the Word of God
Wow, did that blow your mind or what?! Even though we know why studying the Bible is so important, sometimes life gets in the way and we put it to the side.
Reminding our hearts of these promises can help us get back on track. This is why we need to understand the importance of studying the Word of God, and the benefits of Bible study.
God promises us that He will draw near to us when we draw near to Him. We can do this by getting back into His Word. Keep these power promises fresh in your heart and mind and raise the bar on your Bible time!