I’m sitting Indian style on the floor with the children. We are being junior engineers, building ball tracks.
“Stop getting in the way!” oldest growls at his sister.
“Son, please speak with kindness,” I tell him in measured tones. Inside, I’m wringing my hands at how many times I’ve told him.
It’s something this momma heart ponders late into the night: How do you rescue a child from the slippery slope of anger? How do you stop an addiction before it starts? How exactly to rouse a child from the slumber of apathy?
How to wake a child to the beauty of Christ?
Being ruined for Glory releases the yoke of slavery to lesser things.
I should know.
I’ve made mistakes.
I’ve parented hard.
I’ve mothered mean.
I’ve believed the lie that says “power lies in the barrel of a gun” and it’s taken many failures to understand that power and authority are not the same and that sin may offer a false sense of power but Jesus lends authority…the authority to lay a life right down.
Which do I really want?
Son and I, we flip through pages to see which ball track design we want to make.
“Look at this one, mom. It has two different tracks,” boy-man says and I lean over to read it right there, what a mother can do for a son. My breath catches:
“The mother ball train can “wake up” the son ball on her way to run together to their own ends.”
And I look at my firstborn, still asleep to real beauty and I do believe a mother can do this for a son…when a mother is herself set in motion by Christ.
And what if I really. got. this? What if we mommas really discovered Jesus inviting us to mother like He shepherds, to learn of Him in His meekness and beauty? What if we all woke to beauty and daily beheld Glory?
What if …when faced with a whining child…siblings bickering…a rebellious heart… another dirty diaper… we had this vision of the Jesus-way and followed it?
Doesn’t He promise that when we wake up…arise to His beckonings…He will shine on us?
Yes. He has and I have and I want more of it, please.
It’s what He does.
He shows us that laying down anger means gaining glory. Letting go of control means winning a heart. Relinquishing pride means inheriting what really matters.
So child and I sit down together, devise a strategy. We create a chart.
To son, perhaps it’s a way to earn rewards.
To mom, it is a way to awaken.
Because I know a ball set in motion is unstoppable and habits become character and one roused to beauty doesn’t return to slumber.
Mother and son.
Each set in motion, running each their courses for the glory of God.
A “Don’t-Miss” Parenting Resource
Discipleship & Discipline
Practical Parenting Help for the Desperate Mom
Complete details and SIGN UP here.
This unique opportunity provides four days of teaching and conversation with Sally Clarkson and Sarah Mae via live Webinar. Also included is on-demand access after the live Webinar so you can watch anytime.
Here’s what you’ll get:
- Four days of teaching & conversation with Sally Clarkson and Sarah Mae via live Webinar
- Five daily emails with inspiration, key readings and other resources
- The opportunity to ask Sally your parenting questions
- My 24 Family Ways PDF Packet (Note from AJ: I have this and use this and LOVE it!)
- The UncWired Mom eBook
- Core Lies eBook
- On-demand access after the live Webinar is completed (so you can watch anytime)
Topics to be covered:
- How to Raise a “Wild One”
- How to Instill Excellence in Your Child
- How to Have a Quiet Time When There’s No Quiet
- How to Deal with Over-Emotinal Children
- How to Find a Mentor
- How to Build a Winning Relationship With Your Child
- How to Motivate Your Children to Listen to Your Instruction and Obey Your Training
- How to Deal With Your Lies So You Can Parent in Freedom Instead of Fear
- How to Get Through the Desperate Days
- How to Find and Nurture Friendships with Other Moms
The entire e-Course is only $17.99.
**post is edited from the archives