Something happened the last week of school that changed my plans for this summer.
Sure I had plans to spend time with the kids, do some brushing up on our chore training, and having the kids keep a reading log but this pretty much added a whole ‘nuther dimension to the plans.
You see, the last week of school I got to see a “fun mom” in action (which, in case you were wondering, I’m not.)
On Monday, this mom was in the car line with a bubble gun, blowing bubbles at her 8th grader.
Then on Wednesday, I happened to be behind her in the car line again. She put on horse music (I don’t know how else to describe it) and poked her head through her sun roof. Y’all. She was wearing a full head donkey mask.
It was hysterical!
The entire 8th grade class was embarrassed, shocked, and speechless… which was also hilarious. I about died sitting in my car watching all of this go down.
I decided being a “fun mom” isn’t so hard. Like everything else, it just takes some intentionality. I brainstormed a list of “fun mom” things I’d like to do with my kids this summer. Maybe I won’t get to all 50 over the summer but who knows? I might show up in the carline with a mask on come fall~ wink~
50 Fun mom activities to do with the kids this summer
- Have a family Olympics
- Make your own fidget spinner
- Host a game night and invite other families for friendly competition
- Make your own moon sand
- Decorate your own T-shirts
- Make your own jewelry
- Have a dance contest
- Make a map of your city or state using food
- Gather supplies to send a care package to a soldier
- Explore the local parks in your state and track your visits on a map
- Make a board game and play it. Or be brave and try this board game!
- Read aloud from a classic novel
- Make edible paint
- Plan a water battle (these come in handy!)
- Make a giant water blob for backyard fun
- Paint with squirt guns
- Explore the night with flashlights and glow sticks
- Build a tent
- Bake together
- Make slime or homemade clay
- Play in the rain
- Create a city out of legos or blocks
- Make a drive-in movie in your living room after making cars with boxes
- Have a pillow fight
- Paint large “murals” outside on a hot day using just water
- Do a service project
- Mark tape on the floor (beware of sticky residue!) and use the lines as tracks for cars
- Have a tea party
- Help the kids create a script for a play and act it out
- Camp in the yard
- Do a new Bible study as a family
- Help kids invent something, such as a new toy
- Read books to earn rewards
- Have a picnic
- Take a hike
- With older kids, enter a 5K together as you model good health
- Visit a local business for a tour
- Do a nature scavenger hunt
- Have a board game Olympics
- Beat the rainy day blues with these 101 ideas for fun at home
- Make your own bubble solution in a small pool and use hula hoops to make giant bubbles
- Have a party “just because” and invite friends to join the festivities
- Plan a small mystery activity each week where the kids are surprised by a fun outing or project
- Help the kids plan and cook dinner
- Make Blessing Bags for the needy and fill them with basis necessities, (socks, kleenex, water, non-perishable food, etc…)
- Bowl for Free
- Make a card house
- Write a children’s book together
- Make sculptures out of recycled material
What “fun mom” activities would you add? Share in the comments!
May this summer find you knee deep in memorable moments and good-old fashioned family fun! Enjoy, friend!